On Episode 143 of the Mama Bear Dares Podcast, co-hosts Tesi and Leslie dig back into the archives for an interview with Tara Livesay, a native Minnesotan who has spent the last 10 years living with her family in Haiti. Tara is a mother (by birth and adoption), Certified Professional Midwife, blogger, and advocate for sustainable change throughout the developing world. She and the team at Heartline Ministries spend their days empowering, educating, and encouraging women in Haiti through relational midwifery and a focus on keeping first families together.
Tesi and Leslie loved the time spent with Tara and were blown away by her vulnerability, bravery, and extraordinarily good humor. Listeners will enjoy hearing Tara's fascinating tales of worth, wisdom, and a life well-lived (in Haiti!)... and may even be inspired to think about social change and the ways that they can make waves in their own small corner of the world.
Also discussed on the podcast:
- A discussion of self worth: What stories do we tell ourselves about what we are and are not capable of? How do guilt and shame inform what's possible in the future?
- The road to healing — counseling, speaking your truth, being in control of your own narrative
- The complexity of adoption and its root in loss
- What does it take to move a family to a developing nation? A discussion of language, community, and living through the unexpected (not to mention an earthquake!)
- The act of writing as therapy, the responsibility of sharing the story of others, and the privilege of first-person reporting
- The work of Heartline Ministries and the emphasis on orphan prevention and keeping first-families in tact through empowerment and education
- The role of deep and trusting relationships during labor and delivery to promote safe birth. (Stayed tuned for Heartline expansion of relational midwifery!)
- Orphanage tourism and the complex nature of compassion. Who benefits? Who is harmed?
Listen to meditation coach Angie Sands in (Episode 31) .
Mama Bears, we’re online! Here’s where you can find us:
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and let us know what you’re thinking!
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes. We are having so much fun podcasting and really appreciate you listening!!
Help support Mama Bear Dares by shopping with us! Here are our affiliate links:
Do your Amazon shopping here. It costs you nothing and we get a bit of change from Amazon with each purchase! Yay!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Audible. Get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial at www.audible.com/mamabeardares.
Thanks to Wunderkind for the fabulous beats!